Subject: RE: [Leica] Noctilux and filters
From: jon honeyball <jhoneyball@woodleyside.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:27:38 -0000

One of the reasons I bought into Leica M series big time (rather than
spending the approx $18k on Nikon etc) was that I wanted a camera where
there were no excuses whatsoever. If I take a great photo, its because I
took it. If it's a rubbish photo, its my fault. I cant blame the 72 zone
colour corrected widget-allowance metering system, when used in AE priority
mode (but only on 200asa) film.

The photo world today seems to be full of people who say "Ah yes, but if I'd
only had the Nikon F5 body, this would have been a great picture" or "Ah
yes, but if I'd used the really expensive Canon lens, it would have made all
the difference".

With my M6's, there are no excuses. And I can feel 100% pride in those
occasions when the image on film is what I aspired to.

Sure, there is a good argument for using a UV filter as a protection of the
lens. I prefer to use a lens cap instead. I think using a filter is akin to
the airbag mentality we have got used to in cars. Maybe some day I will
scratch the front of my Nocti or 90mmF2 Apo and you will hear the screams
all the way over the atlantic <smile>

But Leicas are cameras that are meant to be used. That's one reason I have
such difficulty accepting all the silly special editions that Leica do. And
some of the mindset that follows on from that. For example, the LHSA special
M6 has black paint over brass (if I remember right) - just how many of those
special edition M6's will ever be used enough to rub the paint off?

My favourite M6 picture is the one on page 36 of the M6 brochure - think of
the tales that this Leica camera could tell, if only it had a voice? Think
of the sadness of a special edition M6, only handled by its trembling owner
wearing white gloves.

Do away with filters, says I. If it gets damaged, get it repaired and try to
take better care next time. But putting a filter on is preventing the
camera's full expression of its optical abilities. It deserves better than
that.

Jon