Subject: [Leica] VW -- Rolls Royce (off topic)
From: "Robert E. Woods" <woorob@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:13:26 -0800

Sorry, but I couldn't overlook this one.  The VW acquisition of Rolls Royce
cars has to figure as one of the most monumental errors in business judgment
in recent years.  The fact is that VW concluded [erroneously] that the EU
would force BMW to relinquish the trade name to VW -- which did not occur.
Consequently, VW ended up with the Rolls factory in Crewe (essentially
worthless) and rights to the Bentley name.  While Bentley is indisputably a
valuable asset, it is nowhere nearly worth what VW paid.

Believe me, I am a huge fan of Piech and of VW, but to assert that the media
got this one wrong is just sheer ignorance.  And "Cha robh bas fir gun ghras
fir!" at the end of every posting is just obnoxious.

Again, sorry, but that's what I think.

Bob Woods