Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica viability & Cambridge Instrument Company PLC
From: "dominique pellissier" <noct@club-internet.fr>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:44:01 +0100

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2000 2:35 AM

> At 07:50 PM 1/27/2000 EST, MGMcGough@aol.com wrote:
> > I am aware that the Swiss conglomerate (Schmeidheiny?) allowed the
camera
> > division to separate from the mother company & float its own stock but
isn't
> > Leica still owned by them?
>
> No.  It was a management buy-out:  the Leica management floated a loan and
> bought the camera and binocular division completely in 1992.  Wild Leitz
> (owned by Schmidheiny) had previously been taken over by the British firm,
> Cambridge Instrument Company PLC (oddly enough, founded in 1881 by a son
of
> Charles Darwin but now apparently primarily US owned).  Schmidheiny might
> well have been part of the management buy-out, but I suspect it is a lot
> more hands-off than it might have been.
>

> msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

If I remember, Marc, the LMBO was planned by Bruno Frey, the CEO of Leica
Camera, but never executed. The swiss holding changed its strategy and
prefered to control Leica by keeping a narrow majority of shares. Frey
dismissed.
BTW if the Leica stock increased, there is an explanation : the planned
repurchase of stoks by the holding.

Dominique