Subject: [Leica] Bob Mac's Ravings
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:35:00 EST

In a message dated 1/28/00 11:45:32 AM, raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi writes:

>Thatīs right - but I do not think that a market for meterless M exist any
>more. If you take out batteries from M6 it becomes meterless. It is much
>less cost effective to do this in the production line - because the main
>problem of Leica is that they cannot produce enough - not enough to satisfy
>demand and not enough to generate adequate cash flow.

If I'm not mistaken I sparked at least some of this nonmetered M discussion
with a comment about an M2-2. In my mind it makes perfect sense -- not so
much as a low-buck camera but to appeal to those who would buy the Millenium
M6 with the old fashioned rewind. I'm confident it would be a hit in limited
numbers . . .

So, if wishes were horses and I were king of Leica I would propose the
following M lineup (I have no idea what to do about R cameras):

Leica M6 -- no change

Leica M7 (or could be M6-A, ME, MA) -- Outwardly identical to an M6 but would
have an electronic shutter, manual and AE exposure, TTL flash meter, 1/250
synch and DX coding. Traditional but up-to-date.

Leica M2R-2 -- Bring back the M2 (black paint only). The only difference
would be a hot shoe and PC flash connections. Could just as easily be an
updated M3 with an M4 claw, winder capability and modern flash connections.
Who cares what it costs.

There! Everyone should be happy. Those who think the M6 is the perfect camera
would still have it. Those who think they were better in the old days would
have that. Those who think Leica needs to move forward would have something
as well. Not everybody eats vanilla ice cream and not everybody wants the
same M body. My lineup would give dang near everybody what they want.

BTW, if I were grand poo-poo at Leica I'd also cut Tom A a big fat check and
buy his winder and put it into production (doubling the price, of course).
Everybody hold on to yours. It will be worth a mint . . .

Bob (next I'm gonna tackle that middle east thing) McEowen