Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica viability & Cambridge Instrument Company PLC
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:10:24 +0100

Dominique Pellissier wrote

> BTW if the Leica stock increased, there is an explanation : the
planned
> repurchase of stoks by the holding.
Possible, but there could be another explanation.  The German CDU party
is in the middle of a massive corruption scandal complete with sleaze
funds in the millions stashed in Swiss bank accounts and elsewhere.
And its reputed to be the tip of the iceberg.

Knowing the German propensity to leave paper trails of their mis-deeds,
and the ecstatic media coverage, I can well imagine that the panic is
creating a money laundering shift from offshore cash to home grown
company shares in a big way.

Imagine a John Clease type at the press conference fielding a question.
 What two billion dollars of undeclared contributions?  Oh THAT two
billion dollars.  Well of course we wanted nothing to with it so we
placed it where it would help ailing German industry ...

:-)

Alan