Subject: Re: [Leica] Evidence that Rabiner is not Dead
From: Byron Rakitzis <leica@rakitzis.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 100 18:19:17 -0800 (PST)

> Both Dan and Mike's comments are totally uncalled for.    A perfect example
> of how the flame wars get started and people are made to feel bad.  If you
> don't understand what he is saying, which is highly possible considering the
> wealth of photographic knowledge that he brings to the table, ask him and he
> will go into greater detail.
>
> Bob

Hear, hear. For what it's worth, let me try to offer my own interpretation
of the original message:

> > >And although there's always room for Jello ...
> > >Silver gelatin does not sound as good as Raspberry Jello.
> > >Marshmallows or no marshmallows that's what I want to know?
> > >Is that a class thing?
> > >People should know what's in the emulsion and what that emulsion is
> > >coated on
> > >and so on but as Mike D. and Mike J. are saying if I may paraphrase:
> > >pretentiousness is to be avoided at all costs. Close?
> > >Let' em guess that's what I say! Let em eat palladium with no
> > >marshmallows!<<<

Mark makes a pun on Gelatin, calling it Jello. (Look on the side of a box
of Jello sometime)

So then he asks if we want our jello with marshmallows or not. I guess
marshmallows in jello are a midwestern practice or perhaps a junk-food
that kids would eat. In any case, unpretentious.

That's why he asks if it's a "class thing".

"Let em eat palladium" is a reference to Marie Antoinette.

Is it really that hard to puzzle this out? It is just Mark's own brand of
stream-of-consciousness humor. I think it's hilariously funny at its best.

I feel silly trying to defend Mark here, because in truth he needs no
defense, certainly not mine anyway.

I'm writing because like Bob I feel we can do without the subtle
put-downs. If you don't understand Mark it's your loss, he has loads
to say.

Byron.