Subject: Re: [Leica] Question re: Telyt-R 400mm/560mm f/6.8 use on M w/ Visoflex III
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:00:27 -0500

Bob Adler wrote:

 can I use the Telyt-R 400mm, 560mm f/6.8 lenses produced
between 1970 and 1990 on a Visoflex III attached to the M without any other
modification. My "Identifying Leica Lenses" book by Ghester Sartorius
states
that these two Telyt-R lenses are "*practically* identical" in structure
with the Telyt 400 and 560mm f/6.8 lenses, which were made for use
specifically with theVisoflex II and III on M series Leicas. It's the
*practically* that has me somewhat worried.

There is a Telyt-R 560mm f/6.8 on Ebay right now and the seller says it can
be used on the M system in conjunction with the Visoflex II or III. I'm
interested, but concerned that this statement may not be all that accurate.
<<<

Bob,

The only difference between the M and R versions is the camera mount on the
mount tube.  The lens heads are identical and in fact can be interchanged
between the R and M mount tubes.  I know 'cuz I have both M and R mount
tubes, using the M tube on my SL and R4sP with the 14167 adapter.

This 560 head does not have a mount tube, so you will need to find one
before you can use the lens.  The seller is incorrect in that this lens
does NOT use a Televit.  The viso mount tube is considerably more scarce
than the R tube and is not often available without a lens head.  If you
also want a 400, get an f/6.8 with the viso mount tube and you can us it
with either lens head.  I think I've seen the 400 f/6.8 with viso tube in
the KEH catalog.  Feel free to contact me off-list if you want more info.

Doug Herr
Sacramento

e-mail: telyt@compuserve.com