Subject: Re: [Leica] asked for ID?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:34:45 -0500

At 02:54 PM 1/31/2000 -0500, Jeff Moore wrote:
>2000-01-31-13:17:30 BOB KRAMER:
>> The next thing I know, a police officer is standing over me asking
>> for my I.D. and wanting to now what I am doing sitting around this
>> restaurant at 6:00 in the morning taking pictures!
>
>Now, WAIT a minute!  What possible justification could he have for
>asking any of that?

That's irrelevant, Jeff, to the powers-that-be.  The US Supreme Court has
long accorded to the police the right to ask any citizen, at any time,
their name and reason for being at the place, and for ID.  It may well be a
sad commentary on the state of the US that the police ARE given this
authority, but they do have it.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!