Subject: Re: [Leica] asked for ID?
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:00:08 -03-30

At 03:34 PM 31/01/00 -0500, you wrote:
>At 02:54 PM 1/31/2000 -0500, Jeff Moore wrote:
> >2000-01-31-13:17:30 BOB KRAMER:
> >> The next thing I know, a police officer is standing over me asking
> >> for my I.D. and wanting to now what I am doing sitting around this
> >> restaurant at 6:00 in the morning taking pictures!
> >
> >Now, WAIT a minute!  What possible justification could he have for
> >asking any of that?

I have learned long ago that there is no point in arguing law with a police
officer. It's not in his job discription. ...Especially when he has the
power of the state and the gun in his hands.

As much as it may gall you, be pleasent, show him some ID and tell him what
you are doing.  As long as there has been no complait against you or you
are not suspected of breaking any law... that will be the end of it.

It works for me be it small town constable, urban combat troops or border
police with a gun stuck in my ear. You are not doing yourself any favours
by pissing off a cop.
  You will never win.

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart