Subject: Re: [Leica] When is a release required
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 08:33:52 -0700

If your picture will be displayed, which could be interpreted to mean that
you showed it to your dog (or photofinisher), you may need a release.
Especially if it in any way defames the subject. Making them look ridiculous
(open to ridicule), visually implying negative character traits (real or
imagined) or portraying the subject in a way that humiliates (secret nude
photos) may make you open to prosecution. If you intend on selling prints
(or even giving them away) that can be viewed as a commercial use. So what
should amateurs do? Shoot, discard the obvious, and be willing to destroy
and apologise if something comes up. Immediate action on a reasonable
complaint is viewed favourably by the courts. NEVER submit unreleased photos
to a photo competition or for any commercial use. If you win and the image
is published, you will be open to big trouble and toast your reputation
forever. We just had a case in Canada where a photographer took a picture of
a teenage girl (clearly recognisable) sitting on a step. He sold the image
to a magazine to illustrate an article on teenage vagrancy. The girl
naturally protested the inference that she was a vagrant and fought it all
the way to the Supreme Court of Canada. The photographer/magazine argued
that the picture was taken in a public place to illustrate a news story, so
the photographer had the right to photograph freely and therefore did not
need a release. Of course the girl won.

John Collier