Subject: Re: [Leica] When is a release required
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 10:02:29 -0500

At 09:31 AM 2/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>My understanding is that in a public place you need no release. That said,
>I always
>ask if people mind my shooting. Some folks just don't want to have their
>photo made.
>If I try, or think I will to sell the image then I always play it safe a
>get the
>release.
>Cheers Wilber.
>BTW Releases apply to peoples property as well, homes stand out as the biggie.

The public place rule is no longer true.  A photograph of a Black man
walking across a public street carrying a briefcase was used to illustrate
an article in the Sunday NY Times on the rising Black middle-class.  He
objected to the implication that he was middle-class, sued and won.  Even
with editorial use, if the photograph implies something, you will need a
release.  Previously this applied to categories like drug addict, homeless,
criminal, etc., but in these litigious times you can't be too careful!

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com