Subject: [Leica] Re: asked for ID? (increasingly off topic)
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 16:11:00 -0800

Alan Hull goosestepped:
> Synchronicity?  I've been reading many challenges lately to the
> jurist's contention that it is "better to let ten guilty persons escape
> than one innocent suffer".
>
> How many innocent people are certain to suffer at the hands of the ten
> freed guilty?

Is it really 10:1? Are we talking about *violent* crimes, or
ven about crimes with actual victims?? Is it acceptable that
the government (putatively of, by, for the People) should
be the entity doing the harm?

And by far most importantly, will there be bias in just who
gets falsely accused? Will false accusations differentially
fall upon the poor, upon people wose skin is a different
color than those controlling the government & police?
Will false accusations be used for political ends?

Sadly, the answers to the last set of questions uniformly
seem to be "yes".

Compare the mandatory minimum sentences for posession of
"crack" cocaine to those for posession of powder cocaine -
*exactly* the same chemical substance. Oh, yeah. poor and
black folks are disproportionately charged with crack
posession, rich and white folks are disporportionately charged
with powder cocaine posession.

Who's likely to pay the higher price if falsely accused?
It ain't gonna be the white yuppie. Hell, he'll probably
get good enough legal representation to get off. The poor
guy trying to feed his family is going to be told by the
public defender to cop a plea bargain, guilty or no.

Bluntly: with the nearly 10-fold increase in the US prison
population over the last 3 decades, are we now 10-fold safer?

Arguments that we should sacrifice individual civil rights
in favor of expedient prosecution are generally used by those
who favor the police state, i.e. those who are least likely
to ever actually *need* their civil rights defended.

- -Alexey Merz