Subject: [Leica] Televit-V
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 08:24:15 -0700

While researching the Novoflex, I came across a posting from Mr. Wulff
discussing how a Leica Televit-V 400 f6.8 went seriously soft on him over a
relatively short period of time. He went on to say that he had heard of at
least one other case of this. He speculated (as did Leica which he had also
sent the lens to have checked out) that the special glass in the elements
(only 2) was unstable and had "changed". Has anyone else heard of this or
have any more definite idea on the cause? Should we avoid old versions of
the 400 and 560? I am hoping that brighter minds than mine will be able to
provide a few answers.

John Collier

I have "cc" this to Henning so he is not taken by surprize by the sudden
popularity of his name.

Here are the relevant messages from the archives:

The 400/6.8 on a VisoIII was always a real delight for me as far as
handling went. I shot birds in flight at 20 feet, which you could't do with
anything else (except may a Novoflex) before autofocus. Unfortunately, the
field curvature in my lens actually changed with time (and the lens got
less sharp), so I got rid of it in the mid 70's.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto: