Subject: [Leica] Televit-V
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:32:27 -0500

While researching the Novoflex, I came across a posting from Mr. Wulff
discussing how a Leica Televit-V 400 f6.8 went seriously soft on him over a
relatively short period of time. He went on to say that he had heard of at
least one other case of this. He speculated (as did Leica which he had also
sent the lens to have checked out) that the special glass in the elements
(only 2) was unstable and had "changed". Has anyone else heard of this or
have any more definite idea on the cause? Should we avoid old versions of
the 400 and 560? I am hoping that brighter minds than mine will be able to
provide a few answers.
<<<

I had also read of this problem, but only from Mr. Wulff.  I doubt the
problem ever occurred with the 560 f/6.8, since its initial production
began a couple of years after the 400 f/6.8 (BTW, they're Telyts, and do
not use the Televit rapid-focus grip).  FWIW, my 400, which I purchased new
in 1979, is s/n 2841xxx.  The glass is still as good as when new.  Anything
more recent would certainly free of the problem.

Doug Herr
Sacramento