Subject: Re: [Leica] re: BW photos- agency fees rip-off
From: Luc Janssens/Micro-Connection<luc@psion-be.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:20:10 +0100

Hi,

I agree, 50/50 is the normal fee

Regards

Luc

"Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk> on 03/02/2000 10:53:50
Please respond to leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
To:     leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
cc:

Subject:        [Leica] re: BW photos- agency fees rip-off

Hi

Sal wrote

>    Someone in a recent posting, thought the 20/80 split of BWphotos.com
was a good idea. I >do NOT. I feel it borders on pure theft.
 >    The normal agency or gallery split for resale type work is 50/50. Any
photographer taking >the 20% split is giving their work away. I have been a
contract photographer with the agency >Black Star for over 20 years. The
normal resale split is 50/50.

Can I please add my support to Sal here? I've been seriously busy this week
and have not commented yet, though I saw the original post.

No question about it, in my opinion that split is totally outrageous and I
hope to heavens nobody here is dumb enough to fall for it. Sal's outline of
the normal agency arrangements is absolutely accurate.

I have to wonder how the blazes a piece of outright commercial spam like
the
original BWPhotos post got on the list in the first place, and I seriously
hope the originators don't stick around. Playing on the aspirations and
desires of "young artists" is despicable. It's no wonder they don't want
pro
photogs- no one I know would buy their preposterous offer.

Please people, for once let's act in unison and tell these people to shove
it.

And lest the originators of this proposal are a litigious bunch of
so-and-so's, and in my experience people like that often are, I would like
to restate that all of the above represents my personal opinion, based on
over 20 years as a professional photographer, and in both selling my work
through other agencies and running my own.

And we pay 50/50, BTW.

Cheers

Rod