Subject: [Leica] Minolta Hi-Matic
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 20:30:21 -0000

Jo Goodtimes wrote

> There is a store nearby that sells ( for 20 USD ) a Minolta Himatic F.
It works with 2 RM640 hg cells . Can anyone tell me if the price is ok and
if
it's possible  to find such batteries <

This camera is really an excellent starter camera, and possibly the ultimate
bargain kid's camera- it features full auto exposure, has  a very bright
viewfinder with framelines and a really visible r/f spot.  It is very light,
and really tiny- very easy for little hands. There are no modes to confuse-
the camera is fully auto all the time- so all they have to worry about is
framing and focus. The 40mm Rokkor lens is crisp and contrasty, and the
camera itself will slip in an (adult ) shirt pocket.  I gave one to my
6-year-old son just before Xmas and he immediately began to produce useable
negs. (The meter is easily confused by contre-jour lighting, but hey- this
is not a sophisticate's instrument.  In light-over-the-shoulder situations
it's excellent.)

I would have said the $20 price was a snip - how can you lose at that price-
and when I asked my regular supplier about batteries, they just put them in
the next delivery (I'm in UK). From which I deduce that the batteries are
indeed available.

There was a dedicated flash available at one time- this would make a very
nice pairing.

In short, great camera, buy one for each of your children.

Cheers

Rod