Subject: Re: [Leica] Summitar Filters and Cap
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 11:55:35 +1100

- --------------E04A96B2E82F3E47D2BB0CA9

Marc James Small wrote:

> To add a bit to Horst's posting, the actual filter thread is generally
> given as 36.4mm, but it is a taper thread.  Leitz made a full range of
> filters, hoods, and caps for this fitment, and these are frequently
> available at camera shows and the like.  And Leitz made an adapter to allow
> the use of E39 filters on the Summitar, as well as one allowing the use of
> Summitar filters on E39.  The adaptor to fit Summicron filters to the
> Summitar is SNHOO/13078, but seems to be for A42 (slip-on Summicron
> filters), much rarer than the E39 screw-in filters.  I believe there was
> another one allowing E39 on E36.4, but I haven't a reference at present.
>
> A much easier solution is to find an old Ednalite 606 adapter or the Tiffen
> equivalent.  These allow the use of a Series VI filter and lens hood.  They
> are commonly available and surface frequently at camera shows.
>
> Marc
>
> msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

  Marc, The adapter 13078 you mentioned does fit 39mm screw in filters.
I have just now tried it. It also fits the 42mm Slip on lens cap.
I never had any trouble fitting the standard 42mm lens cap over the Summitar.
Even so, the Summitar had its own lens cap.  The Summitar lens cap is the same
diameter, as the Summicron cap, but it is a little shorter. I suspect the
reason for the difference in depth, is because the Summitar filters
where the same size as the lens.The Summicron filters however,(as mentioned not
long ago)
are slightly smaller. The greater depth of the Summicron lens caps, allows for
this.
However this seems to work only without problems when the lens cap is
relatively new.
After some time the felt inside the cap seems to compress and unless the cap
has enough
surface area to touch, it comes loose.  I tried to roughen up the inside felt
of the caps, but it does not work for long.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

- --------------E04A96B2E82F3E47D2BB0CA9

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>Marc James Small wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>To add a bit to Horst's posting, the actual filter
thread is generally
<BR>given as 36.4mm, but it is a taper thread.&nbsp; Leitz made a full
range of
<BR>filters, hoods, and caps for this fitment, and these are frequently
<BR>available at camera shows and the like.&nbsp; And Leitz made an adapter
to allow
<BR>the use of E39 filters on the Summitar, as well as one allowing the
use of
<BR>Summitar filters on E39.&nbsp; <B>The adaptor to fit Summicron filters
to the</B>
<BR><B>Summitar is SNHOO/13078, but seems to be for A42 (slip-on Summicron</B>
<BR><B>filters), much rarer than the E39 screw-in filters.&nbsp; I believe
there was</B>
<BR><B>another one allowing E39 on E36.4, but I haven't a reference at
present.</B>

<P>A much easier solution is to find an old Ednalite 606 adapter or the
Tiffen
<BR>equivalent.&nbsp; These allow the use of a Series VI filter and lens
hood.&nbsp; They
<BR>are commonly available and surface frequently at camera shows.

<P>Marc

<P>msmall@roanoke.infi.net&nbsp; FAX:&nbsp; +540/343-7315
<BR>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp; Marc, The adapter 13078 you mentioned <B>does</B> fit 39mm screw
in filters.
<BR>I have just now tried it. It also fits the 42mm Slip on lens cap.
<BR>I never had any trouble fitting the standard 42mm lens cap over the
Summitar. Even so, the Summitar had its own lens cap.&nbsp; The Summitar
lens cap is the same diameter, as the Summicron cap, but it is a little
shorter. I suspect the reason for the difference in depth, is because the
Summitar filters
<BR>where the same size as the lens.The Summicron filters however,(as mentioned
not long ago)
<BR>are slightly smaller. The greater depth of the Summicron lens caps,
allows for this.
<BR>However this seems to work only without problems when the lens cap
is relatively new.
<BR>After some time the felt inside the cap seems to compress and unless
the cap has enough
<BR>surface area to touch, it comes loose.&nbsp; I tried to roughen up
the inside felt of the caps, but it does not work for long.

<P>Regards, Horst Schmidt
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

- --------------E04A96B2E82F3E47D2BB0CA9--