Subject: Re: [Leica] Arrrrrrghhhhhhhh........loading M6en
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 16:58:01 -0800

Don J wrote:

<<<<Why not get an old M-3 and then you will know you have loaded the film?>>>

Hi Don,

I guess I have to ask why? Like what the hell is easier to load than an M6?
drop film in, base plate on, turn crank, click and advnce and it goes! Does
an M3 make it any easier than that?

>All this "convenience stuff" is just a cheapening of the product.  Just like
>the posts on Kodachrome that wonder why it is still on the market since the
>E-6 is so "easy" to use.  We are too darn lazy to do the job right in my
>opinion.>>>>

Sorry my friend it has nothing to do wth "convience stuff" or "easy" or
cheapening and certainly nothing to do with "lazy!"

However, it has everything to do with earning your keep and festy art
directors or magazine photo editors who want to see....."perfect images"
instantaneously, rather than waiting days?...weeks?  Whatever, to have
Kodachrome processed and not by Kodak as in the days of yore, but by some
licenced lab.

It may not be your thing to have slide film processed quickly, but it sure
is for a bunch of us. I find time is constantly of essence as one becomes
older. Every minute, day, week and month is shortening my time to be
kicking around this old planet. And if I can gain better use of that time
with the use of E6 and M6, satisfy myself with quality and that of my
client I'm sure as hell going to run with it.

I and many others have learned to load M6's with our eyes closed and so
will Adam and I don't see what he'd gain in purchasing an M3 for the sake
of film loading.

He'll get it right as we all did, through practice of loading hundreds of
rolls of film.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant