Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 Summilux at f1.4
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 10:29:56 EST

In a message dated 02/06/2000 5:35:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dkhong@pacific.net.sg writes:

<< Contrary to popular belief, this lens is sharp enough at
 f1.4. It has the roundness associated with an older lens design and the
 pleasing "bokeh" found in this piece of optic.  >>

   I fully appreciate what you are saying regarding aberrations and I
especially like your photos.  However,"sharp enough" is a subjective
statement. I have owned most of Leica's 35mm lenses, both M and R, and the
ASPH Summilux - which I believe to be the best 35mm lens I have ever used
regardless of manufacturer.

   Contrary to your conclusion, I find the "glow" as you describe it to be
objectionable - it reduces image definition and information, bleeds light
into shadow areas where it does not belong and reduces overall contrast in BW
and the color saturation of slides and prints. For me, the glow of leica
lenses has always been in the way that images seem to illuminate from within,
almost as if the subject has an internal energy which radiates independently
from the environment. I still find this kind of glow in the new lenses as
well. In fact the 35, 1.4  images almost shockingly jump out at you. I think
this characteristic is a function of low flare which helps to produce high
microcontrast and fine gradation.
   Earlier lenses were pleasantly soft for the first one or two stops and we
learned to work creatively within the bounds of that fault. In short, many
photographers learned to exploit the weakness of the lens. But that weakness
is truly just that if you need sharp, high contrast, well-saturated images
taken wide open in difficult lighting situations.
   I don't mean these comments to challenge your work nor your view of
photographic image-making, but rather, to point out another perspective on
what a good lens should do - and one which I happen to embrace.
Bob Figlio