Subject: Re: [Leica] 40.5 Filter on Summarit???
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 11:16:23 -0500

At 07:11 AM 2/6/2000 -0700, John Collier wrote:
>The 40.5 filter is a JIS standard and uses a different thread pitch from the
>leica lenses. It still may work but try very gingerly as it is very easy to
>mess up such fine pitch threads! Personally I would buy E41 filters and not
>risk toasting the summarit as I assume the glass is good. There a E41
>filters available used and NOS at all the usual used Leica sites and auction
>sites.

I stammer in disbelief.  The 40.5mm filter is a DIN standard filter and was
adopted by Zeiss and Zeiss Ikon long before the JIS came into existence.
Both 40.5mm and 41mm filters are, I believe, 0.5mm thread.

And, of course, both 40.5mm and 41mm filters are available new, from B+W,
Heliopan, or H&H, or probably from the second-stringers, Tiffen and Hoya.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!