Subject: [Leica] R system wish list
From: "Kim Lau" <kimlau@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 17:21:37 PST

Dear LUG,

I have been using a Leica R7 since its introduction in 1992 and added a R8
in 1998.  I absolutely love using the R8 because of the added improvements
over the R7.  I use mirror lock-up often in my photography and with the
self-timer and a flip of a switch, I can have the mirror lock up without
using a cable release.  The matrix metering is extremely accurate.  I also
like that now use can have a variety of matrix, spot, and centerweighted
metering in all modes.  I had initially thought that I did not like the
added bulk and weight of the R8; however, I have now found that the R8
balances heavier lenses better than the R7.  I use the 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2.0,
100mm APO f2.8, 70-180mm APO f2.8 lens, 280mm APO f4.0 lens.  For me, using
a dedicated manual focus camera is a refreshing alternative to autofocus
systems like Canon and Nikon. The market is small but the market is there.
I believe that the problem of poor sales of the R system is several fold:
lack of motor drive for the professional market at the introduction of the
R8, lack of a wide angle zoom lens, inability to get the 35-70mm ASPH f2.8
lens into the marketplace until now, and price.  Can use imagine a better
combination for the nature photographer than a R8 with motor drive and the
APO modular high-speed lenses?

I would like to see Leica develop for the R system:

19-35mm ASPH f2.8 lens (This would be my dream lens!) LEICA ARE YOU
LISTENING?
24mm ASPH f2.8, 35mm ASPH f1.4 and 2.0 lens, 90mm APO ASPH f1.4 or 2.0 lens
(similar to the updated M lenses)
24mm and 90mm PC lens
mechanical R body with matrix, spot, and centerweighted metering with 1/250
top flash synch speed that can accept the R8 motor drive and winder

The main problem is that Leica has taken too long in developing and getting
these products to the market in time and surely this has affected its sales.
  The R system is similar to high-end audio equipment.  Some people like
solid state; some people like tubes.  People want and will pay for quality
equipment.  I like that the R system is NOT AUTOFOCUS!  If I wanted
autofocus I would use a Canon or Nikon system.  I would not like to see the
R cameras and lenses compromise its tolerances in accomodating an autofocus
system.