Subject: Re: [Leica] F3 and old girlfriends
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 21:32:36 -0800

> I sold my F2A and bought an F3 because Nikon told me that was the last
> overhaul they would be able to do on my Photomic finder. I found the
F3 to
> very reliable and tough camera. My only complaints were the exposure
lock
> button flying away one day (cured by biting the plastic shank) and the
> meter's aperture collar sticking after 15 years of use ( took off the
mount
> and cleaned it myself). Finally sold it as I was using my Ms all the
time
> and was only keeping the F3 for the times when I needed a motor. So I
bought
> a M4-P winder and have not looked back. I do not miss it but it was a
great
> camera and I loved that 105mm f2.5. Every now and then I look
longingly at
> used screw-mount 105mm but I love my Leica 90mm just as much. Oh well,
sort
> of like old girlfriends, had a great time but kind of glad I found
what I
> have now.

Nikon Japan's inventory of the Photomic finder's variable resistor is
indeed depleted, and has no plan to produce them again.

Nikon changed the design of the element around 1974 or 75 so that the
shoe does not rub on the carbon coating directly, but on metallic
surface so that the variable resistor does not fail due to wear.  You
can identify these Photomic finders by Philips screws instead of flat
blade screws underneath.  The later Photomic SB, A and AS finders have
the updated element.  Only the older Photomic and Photomic S suffer from
this problem.

Rumour has it that Nikon in Germany still has an inventory, and a friend
had one replaced as recent as last month.

There are numerous versions of the venerable 105mm/2.5 lens.  Without
looking up references, I think there were two different versions for
Nikon S and LTM, and two for Nikon F.  I have the latest AiS version,
and found it to be an excellent lens.  While critically sharp at medium
to long distances, spherical abberation and curvature of field increase
dramatically near the closest focussing distance (1m), according to a
friend who is a lens designer at Nikon, and it produces beautiful bokeh,
especially at apertures wider than 1:4, a useful characteristics for
tight portraits.  I have taken some beautiful portraits of my son with
this lens, although his perfect skin didn't exactly need help of the
lens.

These days, however, most of his portraits are taken with Noctilux to
capture the environment as well.  I am now lusting for a 24mm ASPH,
which I would love to use during the birth of our second child, due in 4
weeks.