Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz table top / tiltall tripod or others???
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:44:42 -0500

Simon Wemel wrote, in part:

> I would like to buy a tripod.
>
> Does anyone use the Leitz tiltall tripod ? Would it be good with an M6?

I use a new Tiltall tripod bought from B&H Photo Video this January for just
under $100.  Comes with a pan-and-tilt head.  Works great with an Leica M3,
Leica II or Agfa Clack (don't ask ;)

The head is "semi-fixed".  That means that it doesn't look as though it's
designed to come off.  However, being the recklessly adventurous type I am,
I removed the Philips-head screw that holds it in place and gave it a good
twist.  I never did succeed in removing it (wasn't trying that hard), but it
looks as though it should be possible.

On the bottom of the centre column, there is a second head platform with a
tripod screw.  It's supposed to be used for low angle shots, but if I were
successful in removing the p&h head, I'd simply flip the centre column
around and mount a ball head on the second platform instead.  Something like
a medium-sized Kaiser Professional should do the trick.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down
Interactive Systems Designer      | my clothes."
email: mvhoward@mac.com           |