Subject: Re: [Leica] F3 and 105 mm F2.5 (now 85mm f2)
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 20:55:34 -0800

Mark Rabiner saliently wrote:
>> <Snip> m f2.8 macro does not replace it it is too heavy to use as much. How
>>> many dandelions can you shoot!
>>> The 85 F2 would squash people on full length shots, I had to use the 105.
>>> But now I use the 90 Elmarit on my Leica M with the Leica Winder and it's a
>>> whole new ballgame.

And Mike Quinn foolishly asked:

> But... Mark, what's this about the 85 f2 squashing people? I was going to
> buy one for my daughter. I thought the 105 might be a tad too big for her
> (and anyway I'm still reluctant to part with it). Is she likely to get
> squashed? Or just her friends? Please explain.

To which Mark kindly replied:

> I half think your kidding Mike but I'm going to be a sucker and answer you
> anyway!! :)
> When doing full length shots of people they look shorter when you shoot them
> with that 85 lens.
> Pull back about 5 feet and shoot a full length of them and the look maybe
> taller.
> That's kind of a big deal in fashion photography. A long line.
> Mark Rabiner
> anyway all these exquisite AI but not AF lens can be gotten for a song the
> mindless multitudes are all clammering for AF.

Thanks Mark. I see the point. I was only half kidding :). I never used an
85, but found the N**** 105/f2.5, and 70-150 zooms to be great. I just
assumed the 85 would be good too (whatever you don't have looks good..).

But (as usual) I'm still a little confused. I wonder if I currently get a
"long line" with my Leica 90 mm... I never tested that...  Then again, maybe
I wouldn't notice. Most of my friends don't have long lines any more...
Sigh.
Is this a great list, or what?

- -Mike