Subject: Re: [Leica]Drymounting and PMA
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 21:00:40 -0800

E Nitka wrote:

> -Mark let me ask you - do you subscribe to the opinion
> good, better and then there's leica?  If so then it's just a matter
> of us disagreeing. It was that part of mr. Dimarco's note that I thought
> was weird - now maybe he was being funny or over the top for emphasis -
> that's ok so long as people don't take it seriously.  Perhaps my mistake was
> that I did take it seriously.
>
> this other business about the 15 mm VF was my being upset for buying
> ludicrously expensive 21 and getting a VF that is not great but very
> expensive.  It's like going and buying a Mercedes and still having to pay
> for floor mats.  Long time ago I said i would NEVER pay for floor mats.
>
> Finally Mark - you are actually one of the people on the list that I look
> forward to reading.  I respect your thoughts and have since you came on the
> list  --- Your comment about drymounting is that it's dumb struck
> me as if you were saying I was dumb.  I'm pretty sure that that was not what
> you were saying - but while we are on the subject Mark tell me why you think
> it's dumb.
>
> Ernie ( I may look tired but i wasn't born last nite) Nitka

Leica reps have been tossing that phrase around  (good, better and then there's
Leica)for decades it sounds a little carried away but I'm afraid it doesn't
offend me.
I think Good refers to Nikon/Canon, better refers to Zeiss and Leica refers to Leica.
I'm afraid I am a true believer who thinks Leica M ASPH's are in a class by
themselves. This is not news on this list I'm not the only one many feel this
way which explains why we spend so much money on them and some of us do not even
like rangefinder low tech cameras.
It's hard to impossible to do a direct comparison between Zeiss and Leica as
Leica M is 35 mm and I don't feel it is for to Zeiss to camera it against it's
AF G2 stuff priced and made for a different market. Medium format Zeiss against
35mm Leica is not fair for Leica.

The VF issue I can't get excited about. Last month I got a 24 and the VF and
half expected not to like it or use it. It was all a large amount of cash to pay
out but it is mine not for life and I don't have to pay for it again.

Dumb because it is being done less and less for reasons that are out there and I
apologize for some tone. You got me going about Sal who is the real thing and
whose opinion  I was surprised to see thrown up for grabs.

We went through this thread about 4 months ago people are using their dry mount
press for flattening their prints but the trend is to fasten by the corners so
the prints can down the line be reswashed should any staining appear. The prints
should hang loose man!!!
Mark