Subject: [Leica] Developer
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:58:50 -0000

Hi

Chris wrote

>I'm getting what appears to be fogged film with lines emanating from
sprocklet holes. Or, could it be underdevelopment? I'm using what I think is
fresh Ilford HC, but it is very thick--pours like glycerin. It's the first
time I've used this developer, so I have no idea if this its normal
consistency. Is it?<

Ilford HC? Or do you mean Kodak HC-110?

If you do, then I really don't advise the use of the high-concentrate stuff
(which pours like glycerine)  for small batches. It does not pour well, is a
SOB to measure, is unforgiving, and in any case HC-110 comes in a
low-concentrate version which is a _lot_ easier to deal with. (But just as
ugly.)

If you mean Ilford Ilfotec-HC, then the same comments apply, except I don't
know if you can get it in a lower concentration stock.

A few years ago my then assistant and I did a series of tests on a range of
developers, and we found that these high-concentrate devs were more trouble
than they were worth. They are designed for machine processing in commercial
labs where high batch-to-batch consistency is required and storage is an
issue. The only high-concentration dev we got along with was Agfa Rodinal,
which at least flows well and is therefore easier to measure in small doses,
but even that has a quality which I dislike.

All of these developers seem to have very little or no compensating action.
(I have since learned that adding sulfite to Rodinal helps here.) It's a
pity that Ansel Adams went on so much about HC-110 in his work- it might be
fine for a perfectly controlled Zone system negative, but its lack of
compensation makes it a poor choice for mere mortals, and particularly when
you're using roll film rather than sheet. I think there are probably legions
out there who have read his work, tried HC-110, and decided to give up!

My advice is to stop using the concentrated devs and go to a conventional
fine-grain compensating developer like D76/ID11. (Alternatively Kodak Xtol
has a great following; I can't recommend it because I have not tried it yet-
I'll correct that soon.) You will have to make up larger batches, but the
stuff is so cheap, you just chuck what's left after the recommended storage
period, which is 3-6 months. (Longer for Xtol.)

As to your precise symptoms, the streaks leading from the sprocket holes
usually mean insufficient agitation, and it will be worse with HC-110 or
Ilfotec because of their lack of compensation. Without seeing the negs and
your technique it's hard to be chapter-and-verse, but I think you're using
the wrong dev, the solution is way too concentrated and this has all been
compounded by the agitation regime. It's in line with the kind of hassles my
assistant had when we did those tests.

If you want to know more than you thought you ever could about darkroom
technique, hang around the following newsgroup for a few weeks. I assure you
there are people there who are very much more knowledgeable than this simple
smudger!

rec.photo.darkroom

Hope this helps

Rod