Subject: Re: [Leica] F3 sales and Apo-Els
From: Ed Buziak <ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 15:22:12 +0000

Frank,

I missed one by a day... but the story goes like this. Last summer a
second-hand 105 Apo-El-Nikkor appeared in a well known dealer's showroom in
the UK (the only one I have heard of for sale in 5 years on this side of the
pond), BUT, the magazine the ad appeared in (Amateur Photographer)
mis-corrected what they thought was a pricing mistake and priced the lens at
£100 (one hundred pounds). Needless to say the dealer received over 100
phone calls that day. He explained to everyone that the lens should have
been priced at £1000 (one thousand pounds)... until later that afternoon one
shrewd customer said, "Yep, I'll take it at that price!", and happily parted
with his grand.

BTW: I guess most LUGgers in the States will have heard of Arthur Kramer...
last time I spoke to him he said he had one example of that particular lens
mounted on his Durst 138S... and a second mounted INSIDE a block of clear
resin on his desk. Some paperweight!

BTW 2: The 105 Apo-El-Nikkor is only good for 35mm negatives... it will not
cover larger formats in case anyone is thinking of spending a lot of money
on one for medium-format. Also if anyone has seen a 53-80mm f/5.6
Zoom-El-Nikkor up for sale anywhere please let me know... it covers 35mm to
6x6cm and was announced at the '78 photokina, so there should be some around
somewhere.

Cheers,Ed Buziak / Publisher
"Camera & Darkroom"

ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk