Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder patch flare
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:43:10 -0800

Ouch.  You had to bring this up.  My most recent method is to first make sure
that the glass is all clean.  This usually helps but doesn't eliminate the
problem.  My current "field expedient" method is to remember to bring along a
roll of scotch "transparent" tape and a black marker.  Often, just taping over
the fresnel light window helps greatly.  If I need more help, I will place
black dot in the center of the tape and make it bigger until I hit a balance
between eliminating most of the flare and still being able to see the
framelines and focus patch.

The tape comes off as soon as I am through shooting.  The only other way I
have used is to focus on something that is the same distance and hope that I
have enough DOF to mitigate errors.  Hopefully BD will weigh in on his current
method.

Regards, Bill, who would like Leica to eliminate this problem before they add
any bells and whistles to the M series  --- else stop producing fast lenses
that they claim will work with the M body.