Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 cars
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 19:32:46 -0800

Dale writes:

|Well actually, since you mentioned the fuel-pump Tom, the only time the MGA
|quit on my drive to Alaska was one evening as the sun was going down. But,
|being an Electrical Engineer, I quickly discovered that the wire had worked
|itself off the fuel pump so I put it back on and tightened down the
|terminal.  Started it up and away I roared.  I always installed Abarth
|mufflers on my MGs including the 1954 1250 TF I had but that is another
|story.

As long as we are really off topic --- Y'all were fighting the quirks of the
MGs.  I resolved the problems by getting a '53 TD Mark II which had been
really desecrated by modern standards.  The previous owner had thrown out the
MG engine and wiring system and installed a '39 Ford 60hp flathead V8 and a
three speed LaSalle transmission from the '40s. The bonnet (hood) was raised
about an inch to help clear the headers and the steering rod had 3 U joints
added to clear the engine and headers.  The engine would peg the tachometer.
But the transmission was most unsatisfactory because you only had good
acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear.

This was in the age of serious cruising.  The TD would beat any Corvette off
the line in a street race and you could usually bluff them out.  Once you hit
about 45, it was a slow...slow climb to top speed which was about a 100 mph.
(Poor oak frame).

Someplace, I have Leica and Rollei pixes of myself and the TD ... but, I
really don't want my kids to know about how and what I used to drive....

Regards, Bill, who actually thought he was controlling the slide...