Subject: RE: [Leica] Old vs. new: Please help me decide.
From: AlastairF@bhs.grampianshealth.org.au
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:03:33 +1100

Oh dear Stefan,
decisions made for others are fraught with danger ;-) but here we go. You do
not mention Noctilux, so I assume the real bad dark world of available
darkness is not a major concern, so you do not need the extra mag, and meter
sensitivity of the TTL job. Now at the other end, youve had a meterless M
and clearly "missed" not having an on board red triangle or two to go with
your red dot, so the decision is clear. Get a user M6. This camera is a
classic, and largely unchanged from its inception in the early 80's, so
there are plenty to choose from. Being a complete nong, I always buy (and
pay more for) cameras from dealers which therefore have some initial
warranty, but I also like the idea of buying from "trusted" Luggers, and
have recently done so when I got the "classic" hi mag M6. (thanks Howard)

Lenses: well it really does not matter anyway. What ever we say, you will
get one then another, then hear about the asph, then another, then a LTM for
those softer b/w images that made Leica famous in the first place, and on
and on, BUT why not start with a  good summicron DR. This lens remains a
favourite of almost everyone who uses it (including me), though on my M3 I
prefer to use the coll version -- came with the camera, and just feels so
right. Lately, I've been using an external viewfinder on a IIIf, pre
focusing the 50 and judging the light by the sunny 16 rule. This has been a
fantastic learning exercise, and the images are improving.

Enough ;-)