Subject: [Leica] Re: UVa Filter unwanted effects
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:29:49 -0800

UVa Filter unwanted effects.

Julian

>>I'm in the same dilemma with my new gear that I'm about to pick - do I
degrade the image or do I risk having to shellout £300 for a new front
element?<<

For me, the risk of scratching a front element is extremely small. I'm not
saying it cold never happen. I'm just saying it's low risk. I'm not overly
careful. In fact, I'm probably less careful than average. I'll never
discourage anyone from using a UV filter, but I never use them unless
there's an optical reason.

BTW, I have a Hasselbad 60C T* lens. I purchased it used. It was dirt cheap
because the front element had a huge scratch that was not only deep but
wide. It must have been scratched on purpose. It was that bad. I used a
dozen rolls of film in an attempt to see the effects of the scratch. I shot
at infinity, and at mimimum focusing distance. I shot at all apertures. I
shot the sky and black felt. I tried all types of backlight. I -- and
several others -- examined the slides under a loupe. Nobody could see
anything related to the scratch. Still, because I couldn't stand it, I sent
the lens to Hasselblad. They replaced the front element for $139.

I also have an older 35/2.8 Ziess for Contax. It looks like somebody
cleaned it with an orbital sander. I keep it because because nobody in
their right mind would buy it (ok, I bought it, but it's a long story). I
actually use this lens quite often. It is an extremely good lens, and I
never worry about damaging it. There's a certain freedom in that.

Scratches are bad, I'll freely admit. But I think we make them out to be
worse than they really are. Photography is 90 percent mental. The other
half is.....well, mental too.

David