Subject: RE: [Leica] Lenshood v. filters
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:44:16 -0500

Mike, I agree with you that a shade is protection enough.  However, I
believe that as a form of lens protection there is no replacement for the
old clip-on metal shades.  The clip on shades were (are) rigid enough to
protect the front lens element and will absorb the shock of a sharp blow by
breaking away, leaving the lens unscathed.  As to the current built-in
telescoping shades, I own no recent generation lenses with this feature so I
can't comment on their lens protective factor.

	Buzz Hausner