Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V15 #46
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@echonyc.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:23:26 -0500 (EST)

Hi all!  I'm new to this list, and new to Leica:  just traded a raft of
Olympus OM gear for an M2.  I think I'm going to feel at home here:  I may
be the last working photographer in Manhattan to shoot almost exclusively
with Rollei TLRs (a 2.8E Xenotar and a 3.5E Planar, both from the late
sixties).  So it makes sense to have an M2 as my 35mm alternative.

My work is primarily travel photography, although I'm increasingly doing
portrait and fashion work.  (For five years I've written and photographed
virtually all of New York Magazine's travel features, although that
association looks to be drawing to a close.)

The M2 is a lovely user:  it has the button rewind and no self-timer, but
the frame preview lever is there.  It's with Professional Camera Repair in
Manhattan for an estimate at the moment; the first curtain drags -- and
occasionally sticks -- at one second.  The speeds, however, seem dead on,
and the viewfinder's bright.

Now I have decisions to make.  I don't have a lens.  The last thing I need
is another normal lens, what with the Rolleiflexes.  I may buy a cheap
Summicron Dual Range, without the eyes -- maybe even one with scratches or
separation, so I can fool around with flare.  (I know this is
heresy).  But I'm increasingly drawn to the new Voigtlander/Cosina lenses.

Has anyone tried the Voigtlander 35mm aspherical?  How does it compare to
the various generations of Leicas?  (Call me vain, but I want to put a
chrome lens on this camera.)

I'd like a Heliar -- in fact, that would be the most useful lens for me at
the moment -- but it seems a waste of this body to use an uncoupled
lens.  I was thinking of perhaps finding one of the Leica III series
bodies, and dedicating it to the 15mm.  Which makes the best user?  (I
sense the IIIg is pretty expensive.)

Anyway, good to be here.  I'm looking forward to owning a rangefinder
again.  (Used to have the first generation Hexar.)

cheers,

Douglas Cooper