Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M6 Viewfinder rangefinder patch flare CONTROL ??
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:06:37 -0800

Stephen Gandy writes:

|OK,  let me ask you this
|
|Do you use  tape or rubber bands to get your Nikon or Canon to work
correctly?
|Would you not complain to Canon or Nikon if you did ??

My M6 works as correctly as it was designed to do.  The rangefinder flaring
seems to be more of a design problem that may or may not be correctible in a
cost efficient manner.  I find that my M3 also flares in the same situation
... just not as much.  Perhaps the underlying problem is with the whole M
series rangefinder design.

I don't mean to sound defensive, but the answer to your question is based upon
whether the camera works correctly within its design parameters or if there is
a flaw in an individual camera due to sloppy quality control.

|Leica owners almost always make a big deal of Leica being the "best," yet
when
|Leica does not deliver the goods, instead of complaining LOUDLY to Leica
about it
|to improve their very highly priced product, most owners simply accept
Leica's
|mis-step and find a way to work around it.

My first reaction is that I have never proclaimed that Leica is the "best,"
yet with reflection, I must honestly say that the Leica cameras and lenses
that I have are the "best" for what I expect a camera system to do.  But I
have also learned that not everyone has my expectations nor needs.  I would
never advise anyone to buy a Leica.  It's just continues to be "best" for me.

Your use of the terms "not deliver the goods" and "Leica's mis-step" (sic) are
perjorative and don't deserve a reply.  As to Leica being very highly priced,
this is probably true.  But I have never found Leica to be expensive.

|I believe Leica will continue to deliver flare prone M6  finders until they
are so
|overwhelmed with complaints they finally realize they have to do something
about
|it.   "Making do" will only perpetuate the problem, not improve the M6.

I would love it if the flaring problem was solved.  I had hoped that someone
on the list had a new and better way to do so.  How to solve problems is part
of why people join lists.  I have yet to see the "perfect" camera or
technique.  Until I do (I would probably be delusional if I did see them), I
need to just muddle on and do the best I can under the constraints.

I guess that the point is that most of the posts on the subject have been how
to "muddle" through with a less than perfect system rather than simply
complaining that the sytem is not perfect.

With a great deal of respect for your opinions and knowledge,

Bill Larsen, who has no clever witticisms to end this diatribe.

|Bill Larsen wrote:
|
|> I think the thread is going in a very constructive manner.  Instead of
LUGgers
|> complaining about the quality and design of the M6 viewfinder, they are
|> offering ideas about how to work around the problem when actually using the
|> camera.
|>
|> By the way, my M3 also flares in the same shooting situations --- just not
as
|> aggressively.  And of course I probably wouldn't notice any problem if it
were
|> not for LUG members who have encouraged me to push the camera and lens to
the
|> limits of my ability.
|>
|> Bill  Larsen
|>
|> Stephen Gandy writes:
|>
|> |Does anyone else besides me think this particular thread is going the
wrong
|> way
|> |?
|> |My god people, you buy a $2,000 M6 camera body and then believe it's OK to
|> use
|> |tape or a rubber band to get it to work right ??
|> |