Subject: [Leica] R8 counterpoint. It really is better.
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 12:52:20 GMT

A little counterpoint to the legion of R bashers here on the lug:)

I know it can be dangerous to break ranks in cult settings... which I think
describes some of the feelings about the M's, but I just have to weigh in on
this subject.  LUGers suggesting that the R should be dropped from the
line-up really have their M-rose colored glasses on.

So here goes,

The R8 is better than the M6 because:

It has the best damn viewfinder in the photographic world.  (I don't care
how clear the M6 finder is, it just doesn't allow exact framing!  It pisses
me off to get collateral stuff in my shots unless I PLANNED for it)

The R8 has a MUCH more accurate meter. Gimme a spot meter over center
weighted any day.

The R8 has a MUCH more accurate shutter, with greater speed ranges.  Say
good-bye to shutter tapering at 1/1000.  A pain in the ass that accompanies
manual cameras with regularity.

It allows truly flexible photography.  You can shoot macro's and street with
the same camera.  Yes, you can shoot candid and street with an SLR.  No, the
M does not drop a cloak of invisibility on the user.

It is better built than any other manual focus 35SLR currently
available...Yes they have had their problems, but they are worked out now.
Ask a Contax user about reliability if you want a real sob story.(I am one
of those)

As for auto focus...Yes, Leica should offer it.  No, I wouldn't buy it.

So that's my shot at this subject.  I like the M, but the best of my
photography happens with SLR's.  There , I said it.   Lash me with noodles
if you like, but it's the truth.

Best wishes to all
Dan States
Chicago Illinois