Subject: [Leica] China Travelogue
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 00:46:00 +1100

I have finally managed to put together some shots from my trip to China in
September - October 1999.

I visited Suzhou, Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, Guilin and the River Yangstze.

The address is:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/garethjolly

I have included something of a brief travelogue, by way of commentary on the
shots.

I took my M6 TTL, 35 and 50mm summicrons and 90 mm elmarit.  The 90mm proved
to be far and away the best lens for the job.  I shot mainly 100 and 400
delta - with some Tri-X and Delta 3200 thrown in as well.

I came through without having my film xrayed once - which, not speaking the
language in an essentially totalitarian state I had previously regarded as
mission impossible.

The delta 3200 was well worth throwing in.   I had some wonderful
opportunities during a fireworks display in Shanghai on the day I arrived

http://www.users.bigpond.com/garethjolly/China/Crowd%20watching%20fireworks%
20with%20Mao%20statue%20-%20horiz.htm

I wound up next to some guy with an M6 on that night.  Not anyone on this
list, by any chance?

Probably the best shot is

http://www.users.bigpond.com/garethjolly/China/Police%20and%20girls%20in%20F
orbidden%20City.htm

The M6 proved to be 'Passport Leica' - I was hailed by all sorts of people
who either had M6s as well or wanted one.

Check them out and let me know what you think.

Cheers
Gareth Jolly