Subject: Re: [Leica] CDI tests
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:03:51 -0800

Alex Brattell wrote:

>Don't get this, and I bet Noctilux users are similarly bemused.>>>

Hi Alex,

Yep, "bemused" alright. The stuff they put out isn't worth the time to
read, be better off shooting pictures, as that's the "real test!"  I bet
before all this CDI and photo magazine testing started, photographers,
certainly this one, never did testing of glass. You bought the lens, put it
on the camera and went to work shooting your assignment. If the images you
shot looked great, that was it.

Like,  "keep it simple stupid!" What counts most? The exciting well
executed content or the mm per whatever?

And yes there have been improvements, asph.for example and it counts, but I
would have switched to the asph knowing it was supposed to be better,
sharper etc. But I would have taken it out of the box, gone for broke
without wasting film to find out if it were. As it would've shown up in the
assignments I was shooting. And that's still the ultimate test.  End images.

On the LUG I'm always surprised how much time some folks put into testing
back and forth, while blowing film to look at test shots, instead of real
time pictures. I haven't ever photographed a test bench in a 50 year
career, recently I thought I should find a test bench and shoot it to see
what all the testing was about. ;)

Anyway, to each his own on this stuff, what I don't give a hoot about
others get their jollies, so be it. I'd still rather take pictures and look
at whether I'm turned on by the content rather than concern for "crispies
in the corners."

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant