Subject: Re: [Leica] Exact framing??
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:10:00 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> >I thought the R8 finder only shows 92% of the image that ends up on the
> >film. Is this not so? If it is so, how can you say it's "exact framing"?
>
> because that's exactly what you'll end up *seeing* on slides.
> No use in having a 100% viewfinder as this will lead you to nasty
> surprises when you look at your slides afterwards... ;-)
>
> [Austin] That's really presumptuous (of them) that everyone in the world
> shoots slides....  Why the hell don't they give the FULL frame and put
> marks for slides?
>
> ----------

I've held onto my old Nikon system since I've gone Leica M in the last seven
years but before that even I sold my F2 which I kept for those exact framing
situations as it was my only Nikon body with 100% framing. Years went by and I
never used the thing so I sold it at a swap meet, no loyalty for my first SLR
body. No meter but most of all no hot shoe turned it into the backup for the
backup's backup.
My point being the usefulness of exact framing had/has escaped me and I don't
shoot as many slides as I shoot B&W and print full frame black border!! Go
figure the edges are going to do what they are going to do. This explains why
not every single print I have is full frame black border; I sometimes crop!!!
Mark Rabiner