Subject: Re: [Leica] Cars large and small
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:38:22 -0800

Well, first of all, I'm glad your wife is ok.

In the US, SUVs which are classified as light trucks have different
emission and safety standards as vehicles classified as passenger
vehicles.  Vehicle safety is certainly not correlated well with the
size.  Also do realise that the taller stance of SUVs result in less
maneuverability, which means that evasive action cannot be executed as
well, or as safely.

After much shopping, what I ended up last year as my very first car was
a Volvo V70 Cross Country station wagon.  I found it neat that this
passenger vehicle has more ground clearence than many SUVs, and
certainly has plenty of usable luggage space: more than most mid-sized
SUVs.  These days, there are very few station wagons available on
market, however.

Ken Iisaka kiisaka@pacbell.net
Lost in Mill Valley in Marin County, California

> My daughter is looking for an SUV and we have visited quite a few
dealers
> and driven some.  She doesn't want to spend more than 20G which limits
her
> somewhat.  However the Honda CRV really impressed us.  Nice size, not
too
> big, roomy, much better gas mileage than most of them and very high
resale
> value.  It is easy to park and quite maneuverable.   The Suburu
Outback is
> very good. Although not an SUV the new Volvo S40 Wagon is a very
impressive
> vehicle.  It has front wheel drive and one of the safest vehicles
> made....around $25,000.
>
> If you want to spend $30G or above look at the Land Rover Discovery,
Lexus