Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: UV Ghostless filters
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:12:37 +1100

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> "A.H.SCHMIDT" wrote:
> >
> > At the time, when the Pentax Spotmatic was released, Pentax advertised a Ghostless
> > UV filter.
> >
> > This filter did not have a flat ground glass, but it was curved. A similar curve
> > like the front element of a lens. Pentax in their leaflet says:   "The Ashai
> > Pentax Ghostless Filter is a breakthrough in filter design. With this curved UV
> > filter, the image light reflected back to the Ghostless filter and retransmitted
> > through the lens, forms a duplicate image in the air, thus eliminating a ghost
> > image on the film plane."
> ><Snip>
> Would not introducing a curve into a filter make it act like a lens? I'm
> surprised it did not change the "power" of the lens!!
> Mark Rabiner

 Mark,  you have a point there. Maybe it does not work like an extra lens, because
it has a uniform thickness and has the same curvature as the front element.

Jim Brick also replayed with an answer that makes sense.

All I can say, I never noticed any difference with this filter on or of on the Pentax
lens.

Maybe it is just a coincidence. Maybe some optical expert can put some more light on to
it (hope this does not introduce ghosting)

Regards, Horst Schmidt