Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 90 old vs APO for portraits
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 20:42:00 -0500

JGong wrote:

> I'm one of those folks who would never use a 100 macro for serious
> portraiture unless it had a Softar type filter on it. The 90 APO is in the
> same league, even wide open. That said, I've been really pleased with using
> the 90 APO without a filter as an around-the-house lens for  the past
> month, and appreciate the crispness of the photos at wide open aperatures.
> I would have to say that it's much more flattering when using this lens
> with children than adults because it is capable of showing every
> imperfection on your self. It's also much easier to wield an M6/90 combo
> then an R body/100 apo for this kind of photography.

I'm one of those folks who always uses the 100 macro for serious
portraiture, and never with a filter. I'm a commercial photographer and
I'll take all the detail I can get, at any aperture. That's what gives
the images impact -- their clarity. And I also must disagree with your
assessment of which combination is "easier to wield." I use both the R8
w/motor and 100 and the M6 w/Tom's winder and the 90 Apo, and the R8/100
is easier to frame precisely at portraiture distances. You are, of
course, free to shoot any way you like. Different styles suit different
customers.

Good shooting,

David W. Almy
Annapolis