Subject: Re: [Leica] flash sacrilege
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:03:08 +0000

John Brownlow wrote:.

> I'll say it again! It's just a friggin light source like any other, so why
> restrict it to one (rotten) position, and to the exclusion of any other
> source?

Thanks.  Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who appreciates
strobe.

Recently had magazine job shooting Physician service that does house
calls (remember those?).  Went to a home where he treated elderly lady
in living room with nice furniture, nice landscaping outside, EKGs and
other stuff on the couch.  Shot with one SB-24 on slave across room and
one on the M6 set for one stop below inside ambient (thyristor) and
opened fire.  Without the strobes the outside scene (important to show
"home" setting) would have been blown out.  As is it looks like
"available" light.  I shot a few with Nikon as backup, but using the M6
and seeing the expressions at the instance of flash was far more
comfortable.    All with E200.

It's no "Country Doctor" Gene Smith story, but got a "great job"
response from the editor.

donal
(the sacreligious)
Donal Philby