Subject: Re: [Leica] Emperor's new clothes...
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:36:02 +0000

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

 I did not see a single
> picture that I would even bother printing.

Yeah, I never have figured out most "art" photos.  I have to be moved by
content.  Guess that is why the documentary traditions are the "art" I
love.

I spoke to currator at the local La Jolla Museum of Comtemporary Art and
he explained that most of the art in the museum were really inside jokes
based on other art, so you had to know your art history to understand
anything.

But I have to get them credit for showing some great art--Salgado's 250
print exhibit of "Workers."  But those images were based on inside
understanding of life and the human condition, not art.

A critical difference.

donal
- --
Donal Philby