Subject: [Leica] Emperor's new clothes...
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:45:26 +0100

I spent the weekend in Denmark, and visited the Museum of Photography in
Odense Sunday afternoon. In addition to their excellent permanent
collection they had an exhibit by a photographer named Eggleton (I
think). He is supposed to be one of the greats. His CV listed a long
string of exhibitions and prizes (and incidentally, his first Leica
purchase in 1958), most recently the 1998 Hasselblad Prize. Seldom have
I been so disappointed by a photography exhibit. I did not see a single
picture that I would even bother printing. Most of the pictures were of
non-descript scenes, mostly from the Southern U.S. and mostly devoid of
people. The exhibit was accompanied by some learned writeups explaining
how the topics were trivial but the photographs very deep, but I guess I
am just to plain and uneducated to "get it". I do appreciate
photographic craft even when the subject matter is not my cup of tea (as
in Mapplethorpe's homoerotic images), but here even this aspect was
missing, with many shaken pictures, crooked horizons, botched
compositions etc.

Not looking for any responses per se, just had to vent...

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman