Subject: [Leica] Deadman's DR and the $500 ding
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:00:16 +0000

> I just won this item on ebay. Looks like a bargain to me -- no eyes,
slight
> cleaning marks, but for USD 250 I don't care. Any comments?

John,
A DR Summicron without eyes is the best bargain in all of Leicadom. A
fine Rigid mount Summicron just went for $450+ on eBay and the dealers
want more than that. And the DR has a much more solid mount--when you
get this lens, see if you can argue with my contention that Leica stuff
used to be better built than it is today.

I just hope that those "cleaning marks" really are "slight." Chances are
they just mar the coating, won't affect the image at all, and have saved
you $150 or more.

My friend Nick got a great M4 with a "ding" in the top plate. We figured
that the ding saved him at least $500. Guess how much it affects the
operation of the camera? Not at all. Hope your "slight cleaning marks"
are the same situation.

Don't believe these guys who say you didn't "win." I'd say you won, all
right. How else you gonna get a fine Leica lens for $250? The only other
bargain this good is the superb 40mm f/2 multicoated M-Rokkor.

- --Mike

P.S. When you get it, check to see that the optical head (it unscrews)
and the focusing mount are the same SN.