Subject: RE: [Leica] [drifting ot] art stuff
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:19:57 -0000

Guy - I must equally respectfully disagree with your disagreement. :-)

I believe there is a difference between something that the viewer doesn't
like, in terms of subject, style, or media, and something that is
inaccessible - which to me means something that can only be understood by
the artist. Too often these days we see "art" whose meaning is perfectly
clear in the mind of the artist, but that mind is so muddled that the artist
doesn't realize that he or she has not made the meaning clear.

As to Wm S and the high school students - the failure is, as you note, that
of the viewer's. Unfortunately, too many of today's kids are unable to
relate to anything they haven't either seen on MTV or read in a comic book.

B. D.