Subject: Re: [Leica] perfection, etc.
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:54:10 -0800

chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)

> Saint Ex sounds right---also quoted by Yvon Chouinard,
> designer/manufacturer of some of the most elegant
> climbing hardware ever made (twenty years on, I
> still use one of his ice axes with a laminated bamboo
> shaft, despite getting the Hairy Eyeball from friends
> in Mountain Rescue, who favor metal shafts).

*Damn!* I thought I was the only one left using one of
those :-). I also have a pair ot the more recent Al/
carbon fiber modular tools, but actually they see less
use than the old bamboo unit!

Though I would say that Chouinard Equipment (now the
employee-owned Black Diamond) no longer has an
uncontested lead in either design or elegance -
there is just so much superb gear available :-).

Back to Leica: the first picture that truly revealed
to me what my Leica optics could do was a *stunning*
16x20 enlargement of my friend Walter succeeding
on his first 5.13 route at Smith Rocks. Velvia (yes,
Peter K and others- I do use Velvia when it seems
suitable), 50 Summicron, f/2 and 1/250 handheld
from a ledge at the same height as the crux move.
The detail rendered is phenomenal, limited only by
the film's resolution.

Now, if only I could climb 5.13, too. Or even solid
5.11...

Regards

Alexey Merz