Subject: Re: [Leica] Which is better M Series lens 21 f/2.8 or 24 f/2.8
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:49:59 -0500

John Brownlow wrote:

> > B. D. Colen wrote:
> >
> >> You will undoubtedly waste frames from time to time, but film is
> >> cheap..:-)
> >>
> >> I haven't used the 24, but the 21 ASPH is absolutely phenomenal...Sharp
> >> from
> >> edge to edge...very little distortion...I'll bet that at this point I use
> >> it
> >> for 30 to 50 percent of my shooting....
> >>
> > So you're saying that you lose as many as 18 frames on a 36-exposure roll
> > because the camera lacks something as simple as a shutter release lock?
> > This is TOTALLY unacceptable on a camera that costs $2000.
> >
> > Rob Schneider
>
> Is it just me or have we (I mean you) lost the plot here?
>
> BD says he has the occasional misframe, but uses the 21 for 30-50% of his
> shooting. The originator of the thread says he occasionally triggers the
> shutter accidentally ('a couple of frames') because of no shutter lock.
>
> Hhow this translates into '18 frames on a 36 exposure roll' is beyond me.
>
> Incidentally, I use soft releases which accentuate the accidental shutter
> firing problem, but BD is right, film's cheap. I have other cameras which do
> have shutter locks, and I don't use them, because the stinkin camera always
> ends up turned off at the exact moment you want to use it.
>
> - --
> John Brownlow
>
>        photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
>         music:    http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk

Oops, sorry.  Kind of a joke.  I was just abusing my privileges by being a
hot-headed, clueless asshole.  I believe this is the first time for such
behavior on this list and I'm sorry it had to be me.

I too use soft releases, typically lose a couple frames on each roll and
loathe shutter-release locks for the same reason you cited.  Film is indeed
cheap.  I seldom get more than one or two frames per roll that I'm even
interested in looking at twice.  What do I care if my bag or elbow feels
like taking a picture.  I love using my Leicas; I bet they do too.

And even though there are people on the LUG who think that no one at Leica
is a photographer and they never consult with photographers before designing

a camera, who but a photographer would have the GOOD SENSE to not put
release locks on their rangefinder and SLR bodies?

(Is there a release lock on the R8?  Ain't one on the M6 or the R-E.  That's
the gear I've got.)

Hugs,
Rob Schneider