Subject: Re: [Leica] Eggleston
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:42:50 -0500

Tina Manley wrote:

> At 09:34 AM 2/15/00 +0000, you wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >Tina, I am shocked. You do realise that this is William Eggleston we are
> >talking about, don't you? I have just pulled the catalogue of Ancient and
>
> >Modern, his exhibit at the Barbican some years ago, and your comments
> are, I
> >hope, about someone else. These are quite simply wonderful pictures. On
> the
> >wall they were nothing short of staggering; even in the book they are
> pure
> >dead brilliant.
>
> Hi, Rod:
>
> I was not referring to Eggleston in particular, but to all of those
> photographs that I see in galleries and ask "Why?"
> But since you mention Eggleston, go to this site:
> http://www.masters-of-photography.com/E/eggleston
> eggleston_greenville.html
> And explain to me why he even bothered to print this.  I guess it is
> almost
> scary to me that if I were editing my photos and came across one like
> this,
> I would file it in the round file!
>
> Leically,
>
> Tina

While I like a fair number of the Eggleston photos I've seen (there's
something wondrous and haunting about that green, glowing window), this one,
indeed, is a puzzle.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain with a straight face how Herb Ritts
warranted a huge show at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.  Let's turn over
the "inaccessible" coin and talk awhile about trite, commercial and obvious.

And I think Nan Goldin is a snapshooter with "interesting" friends.

Rob Schneider