Subject: [Leica] art photography
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:12:08 -0800

Folks,

Not that I've read every one of the diatribes on "art/artist photography"
topics, but what I haven't seen addressed for some of these "photographer
artists" is:

Is it really photography by photographers? Or is it merely art "using the
medium of the photographic process to make art?"

I find it rather strange that some of the "artists" described in various
topics have been considered photographers in the first place. In the case
of some of them I really don't want to be associated as a "photographer" if
what they call "photography" puts me in association.

Having looked through many Art Galleries hanging photographic exhibitions,
I can attest, as I've seen one or two posts, "I wanted to run out and
PUKE!" Big time!
And like I'd never wanted to do before. And I don't apologize, as there
isn't any other way to be down to earth and describe ones reaction to the
shit hanging on the wall.

Some of them having the audacity to hang such garbage and then call it "A
Photography Exhibit" should be drawn and quartered for using photography
and photographer in the same breathe.

As I say...much of the garbage hung, should be equated to "art using the
photographic process" and not relate to it as "photography by a
photographer."

In reality, those of you who are "photographers" do you or would you want
what you do and love so dearly be equated to the atrocious "art" that is
supposed to be such great "photography?" Not on your life for a blink!

OK that's all, as I figure that's my point. Garbage created through the
photographic process by garbage people, created for garbage viewers to view!

And no I don't believe art is in the eye of the beholder, unless you can
accept that garbage is in the eye of the beholder. So be it!

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant